Pellet smokers are widely used by people of all experience levels and are a fantastic way to enter the smoking community. Their easy to use functionality is ideal for big game hunters, party hosts, family chefs, and professionals.
In this overview, we’re going to take a look at a handful of pellet smokers and outline their top qualities. We’ll provide you with the pros, cons, and top features of the best pellet smokers.
- The Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill
- The Traeger Junior Elite Pellet Grill
- The Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Pellet Grill
- The REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill
- Z GRILLS Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
- The Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in.
- Cookshack PG500 Fast Eddy's Pellet Grill
With this, we’ll also provide a brief overview of the difference between a griller and a smoker and touch on the best wood pellets for smoking. Let’s begin!
What is a smoker? What is a griller?
A common question asked by people new to the smoking and grilling community is, “what’s the difference between a griller and a smoker?”
Here’s the answer: a smoker uses low amounts of heat whereas a griller uses high heat. Additionally, a smoker uses indirect heat while a griller uses direct heat. For the sake of this article, we’re going to use them interchangeably because some models do both. Some of the models we’ll be covering feature the word griller, but rest assured, it’s all the same.
Picking the perfect pellets is as important as any other piece of the puzzle. Since pellets produce exquisite flavors and greatly contribute toward your delicious results, it’s critical that you choose the right one. While you should keep in mind that flavor preference varies and that will ultimately be up to you, here’s our recommendation on the best wood pellets for smoking.
- 20 lb. bag - buy in bulk!
- 9 Flavors: Alder, Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Mesquite, Oak, Pecan, and Turkey
- Infuse everything you bake, BBQ, braise, grill, and smoke with authentic hardwood flavor
- American made and sustainably sourced in the USA
First on our list is a supreme smoker, the Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill. This moderately priced model is backed by the trusted Camp Chef name and will deliver tasteful flavors every time. Whether you’re in search of your first smoker or a seasoned professional, this is perfect for all experience levels.
Main features of the Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill and Smoker BBQ:
- 570 sq. inches of cooking space
- Temperature range effortlessly varies from 160° F to 500° F
- Pellets are auto fed via auger feed to ensure heat smoke output is constant
- Easy to use digital controls and can be adapted to bake, braise, BBQ grill, and smoke
- 18 lb. hopper capacity
Camp Chef smokers are made from only the finest materials and contribute toward tasty, delicious outcomes. In addition to the great qualities mentioned above, there are some added benefits you should know about. Here are the perks from owning this smoker.
The second smoker on our list is the Traeger Junior Elite Pellet Grill and this thing packs quite the punch. This smoker is filled with features and offers customers a variety of great qualities. Perfect for all chefs, this easy to use model will have you smoking in no time.
Main features of the Traeger Junior Elite Pellet Grill:
- 3 racks can hold wide assortments of meats and vegetables
- 6-in-1 utility allows for a variety of cooking styles
- 300 sq. inches of cooking space - perfect for hosting socials or tailgating
- Traeger Digital Elite Controller sets and controls temperature with ease
- 8 lb. hopper capacity
The Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Pellet Grill is number three on our list and is a Smart little, on-the-go grill, perfect for people who love to camp, tailgate, or travel. Weighing in at only 57 lbs., this grill can conveniently be transported in nearly any car and makes smoking a breeze.
Main features of the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Pellet Grill:
- Smart Control allows you to connect via WiFi and have full control over your grill
- 17 lb. hopper capacity and pellets are automatically fed via sloped design
- Sense-Mate thermal sensor guides temperature to maintain control
- 110V or 12V with adaptors for 3 Power Options
- Includes stainless steel grease bucket for catchy and cleanup and cover!
Grill with ease after one simple push! The REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill is a hot commodity and comes with an incredible warranty to say the least. This backyard beauty is ideal for a variety of cooking environments and will be the catalyst for your next cooking excursion.
Main features of the REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill:
- 702 sq. inches of cooking space
- 40 lb. hopper capacity - average of 1 lb pellets/hr at 225°F
- Temperature ranges from 180° F to 500° F and has ability to adjust in 5° F increments
- Welded and sealed helping to ensure smoke doesn’t escape
- Long-lasting 6 year warranty
Coming in at number 5, Z GRILLS Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker has a lot to offer and certainly looks good while doing it. This huge model not only offers a main rack and a warm rack, but it also comes with a 3 year warranty to safeguard any mishaps that may occur.
Main features of the Z GRILLS Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker:
- 700 sq. inches of cooking space offers a ton of options when smoking or grilling
- Temperate ranges from 180° F to 450° F
- 8-in-1 utility allows for a variety of cooking styles
- Easy to use digital temperature control - “set it and forget about it”
- 20 lb. hopper capacity
As Pit Boss exclaims, “The 700FB Wood Pellet Grill offers the best value per square inch in the pellet grill industry”; a statement we would have to say isn’t far from the truth. Pit Boss definitely takes grilling to a whole other level and let’s anyone become a master chef.
Main features of the Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler:
- 700 sq. inches of cooking area
- Temperate ranges from 180° F to 500° F
- Temperate control is fully digital and is very user friendly - just turn the dial!
- Porcelain-coated grids provide a strong surfaces for meats and other food
- Comes with wheels for easy transporting and storage
The Cookshack PG500 Fast Eddy's Pellet Grill holds true to the Cookshack name being that it’s as big as a shack! This high quality pellet grill is certainly the most expensive on our list, but with that comes all the bells and whistles. We definitely saved the best for last, let's find out why!
Main features of the Cookshack PG500 Fast Eddy's Pellet Grill:
- 748 sq. inches of cooking surface
- 36,000 BTU burner - max temperature of 600° F
- Thermostat is electronically controlled reducing temperature inconsistencies
- Pellets dispense at an average of 1.2 lbs. to 2 lbs. pellets per hour at 400° F
- Four-Zone cooking: direct, indirect, cold-smoking, and warming/holding
The Bottom Line
In the end, the bottom line is these pellet smokers all come with qualities that make any grilling or smoking session special. Whether the model be big or small, many racks or few, the final decision comes down to identifying which is best for you.
If you want the top dog, we recommend the Cookshack PG500 Fast Eddy's Pellet Grill, if you’re a tailgater or avid camper, go with the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Pellet Grill, and if you’re just looking for a solid smoker to plant on your deck or backyard, go with any of the rest.
Enter your text here...We hope this review of the best pellet smokers has helped you along your journey toward enjoying some delicious meals. The flavor achieved from pellet smokers is unlike anything else and we can’t wait to hear about your experiences. Be sure to leave a comment below and let us know which one you ultimately went with. We love hearing from folks! Happy smoking!